2019 AGO. Impressionism in the Age of Industry
Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:35:00 AM
Pulsing with life, Paris in the 1870s was transforming – thanks to wider streets, increased traffic, an explosion of factories in the suburbs, and faster and more frequent steam-powered trains. No one in France was immune to the rapid pace of change, least of all artists.
Through paintings by some of the worlds most popular artists — including Edgar Degas, Claude Monet, Camille Pissarro — as well as period films, photography, sculpture and works on paper, the AGO revealed a new side of Impressionism. These rare and extraordinary artworks, many of them on loan from museums and collections across Europe and North America, are presented together for the first time in a groundbreaking new exhibition Impressionism in the Age of Industry: Monet, Pissarro and more. Organized by the AGO and curated by Dr. Caroline Shields, the AGO's Assistant Curator of European Art, this sweeping
journey across the changing landscape of France in the late 19th century, reveals the exhilaration and anxiety that came in the wake of steam trains, factories and suburbs.
"As our cities and technologies rapidly change, it’s a journey that continues to resonate today,” Dr. Shields says. “Seeing these works together for the first time provides an incredibly rich addition to the story of Impressionism as we know it."
Following remarks, Dr. Shields, will lead a guided tour through the exhibition, shedding new light on the inspirations and fascinations of the Impressionist painters. Questions along the tour are encouraged.
Impressionism in the Age of Industry: Monet, Pissarro and more opens at the Art Gallery of Ontario on Saturday, Feb. 16 and is on view through May 5, 2019. For more details, follow #impressionismAGO and visit www.ago.ca.
- Related materials:
- 19-Feb-2019 09:45 PM 2019 AGO. Impressionism in the Age of Industry (4K, images)
- 13-Apr-2013 03:03 PM 2013 AGO. Secrets of Early Renaissance EX at the Art Gallery of Ontario (HD, images)
- 15-Mar-2013 06:13 PM 2013 AGO. Early Renaissance EX. Revealing at the Art Gallery of Ontario (HD, images)
- 15-Mar-2013 10:20 AM 2013 AGO. Early Renaissance EX. Revealing
- 14-Mar-2013 06:13 AM 2013 AGO. Secrets of the Early Renaissance EX
- 13-Mar-2013 09:13 AM 2013 AGO. Explore the Early Renaissance EX
- 13-Mar-2013 08:09 AM 2013 AGO. Explore the Early Renaissance EX at the Art Gallery of Ontario (HD, images)
- 18-Oct-2012 08:40 PM 2012 AGO. Frida & Diego: Passion, Politics and Painting at the Art Gallery of Ontario (HD, images)
- 18-Oct-2012 10:43 AM 2012 AGO: Frida and Diego: Passion, Politics and Painting
- 17-Oct-2012 02:17 AM 2012 AGO: «Frida and Diego: Passion, Politics and Painting» Preview