2019 ROM.Treasures of a Desert Kingdom: The Royal Arts of Jodhpur, India
Thursday, March 7, 2019 9:43:00 PM
Explore the spectacular royal arts of one of India’s greatest former kingdoms, Jodhpur, Rajasthan. Alluring jewellery, lavish tents and canopies, vibrant paintings, and opulent decorative arts tell stories of kingship, strategic alliances, the role of women and life at court. Amassed over the course of nearly four centuries, these treasures reflect the history and artistic legacy of the Rathore dynasty, one of the longest continuous royal lineages in the world, that ruled this desert kingdom until India’s independence in 1947.
Treasures of a Desert Kingdom features masterpieces drawn from the collection of the former royal family, most of which are on display outside their palace setting for the very first time. While the stunning objects highlight India’s multifaceted past, they reveal a lasting cosmopolitan culture that was sustained by a delicate balance between local and external influences, and tradition and modernity.
- Related materials:
- 07-Mar-2019 11:53 AM 2019 ROM. India Exhibition of Rare Treasures from India’s Desert Kingdom (4K, images)
- 13-Jul-2018 10:29 PM 2018 ROM Iris van Herpen: Transforming Fashion (4K, images)
- 13-Jul-2018 09:00 PM 2018 ROM Iris van Herpen: Transforming Fashion
- 19-Jun-2018 01:17 PM 2018 ROM Philip Beesley: Transforming Space (4K, images)
- 19-Jun-2018 01:00 PM 2018 ROM Philip Beesley: Transforming Space
- 08-Jun-2018 01:05 AM 2018 ROM Iris van Herpen EX. Elements (images)
- 08-Jun-2018 01:00 AM 2018 ROM Iris van Herpen EX. Elements
- 06-Jun-2018 01:31 PM 2018 ROM Spiders: Fear & Fascination Behind-the-Scenes (4K, images)
- 06-Jun-2018 01:00 PM 2018 ROM Spiders: Fear & Fascination Behind-the-Scenes
- 26-Nov-2017 01:29 PM 2017 ROM. Christian Dior EX Preview