JOBS Government Of Canada Announces New Partnership To Create At Least 5,200 More Apprenticeships In Atlantic Canada
Tuesday, 30 August 2022 04:23.PM
The skilled trades are essential to Canada's economy. Few industries are as essential to Canadians' everyday lives. Smart investments are needed to support Canadians from all backgrounds in taking up apprenticeship training now, and to help kick-start lucrative careers in well-respected skilled trades.
Today, the Honourable Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion, was in Truro, Nova Scotia, to announce over $28 million for the Nova Scotia Apprenticeship Agency's Apprenticeship START Plus Project. The project will provide financial support to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador to hire a minimum of 5,200 first-year apprentices in eligible Red Seal trades over the next two years. This includes a minimum of 1,190 first-year apprentices from equity-deserving groups such as women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous people and racialized people.
First-year apprentices in eligible Red Seal trades will get the hands-on experience and training they need to progress toward becoming certified journeypersons in the Red Seal trades as a result of connecting with these job opportunities. The organizations that are being funded under the Apprenticeship Service will distribute financial incentives to SMEs and provide additional supports, such as help navigating the apprenticeship system, and they will also develop training for SMEs to help them onboard apprentices and create welcoming and inclusive workplaces. To help Canadians facing barriers to a career in the skilled trades, the incentives are doubled for SMEs who hire from equity-deserving groups.
Today's announcement builds on the 13 Apprenticeship Service projects announced by Minister Qualtrough in May 2022. It also builds on the project announced by the Honourable Kamal Khera, Minister of Seniors, on August 24, 2022, which will support new apprenticeship positions across Canada. To date, the Government has invested $306 million in 15 projects that will enable SMEs to create over 32,000 new apprenticeship positions across Canada.
The Government of Canada is investing nearly $1 billion annually in apprenticeship supports through grants, loans, tax credits, Employment Insurance benefits during in-school training, project funding, and support for the Red Seal program. Announced in Budget 2019, the Canadian Apprenticeship Strategy will strengthen existing apprenticeship supports and programs by helping apprentices and key apprenticeship stakeholders, including employers, to participate and succeed in the skilled trades.
"Canada needs more skilled trades workers. We need more women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous people, racialized Canadians and other traditionally marginalized people to get into the skilled trades. That's why the Apprenticeship Service program is so critical. It's helping more and more Canadians seize these great job opportunities, and it's making sure businesses have the skilled workers they need to thrive."
– The Honourable Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion
•According to the Canadian Apprenticeship Forum, in order to meet the demand for skilled journeypersons in Red Seal trades, an average of approximately 75,000 new apprentices will need to be hired per year over the next five years. The top trades most at risk of not meeting the demand include welder, industrial mechanic (millwright), bricklayer, boilermaker, cook and hairstylist.
•According to BuildForce Canada, the construction industry needs to recruit 309,000 new workers over the next decade (2021 to 2030), driven predominantly by the expected retirement of 259,100 workers (22% of the current labour force).
•There are more than 11,000 SMEs in Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick who work in the eligible Red Seal trades. The Apprenticeship Service will help them hire more first-year apprentices, which will help fulfill Canada's labour market needs.
•Measures in Budget 2022 to support skilled trades workers include:
• • $84.2 million over four years to double the funding for the Union Training and Innovation Program to help apprentices from under-represented groups begin—and succeed in—careers in the skilled trades through mentorship, career services and job matching.
• • A new Labour Mobility Deduction, which would provide tax recognition on up to $4,000 per year in eligible travel and temporary relocation expenses to eligible tradespersons and apprentices. This measure would apply to the 2022 and subsequent taxation years.
• • $2.5 million in 2022–2023 for Employment and Social Development Canada to launch a new union-led advisory table that brings together unions and trade associations. The table will advise the Government on how to help workers navigate the changing labour market, with a particular focus on skilled mid-career workers in at-risk sectors and jobs.
• To highlight the value of skilled trades workers and the wide range of supports available to build a successful and fulfilling career in the trades, the Government launched an advertising campaign earlier this year to promote the skilled trades as first choice careers for young people. The campaign website (Canada.ca/skilled-trades) provides Canadians with information about what the skilled trades are, how to become a tradesperson, and what financial supports are available to them while in training.
SOURCE Employment and Social Development Canada
- 16-Nov-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Government Of Canada Invests In Skills Training For Workers And Job-Seekers In The Aerospace Sector
- 14-Nov-2022 12:00 PM JOBS RBC Foundation Commits $3.5 Million To Help Prepare Youth For Inclusive And Sustainable Jobs Of Tomorrow
- 13-Nov-2022 10:30 AM JOBS Provinces Should Say Yes To Support From Ottawa To Invest In The Worsening Staffing Crisis
- 11-Nov-2022 06:11 PM JOBS Hybrid Workplaces to Become a Competitive Strategy for Businesses
- 10-Nov-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Millwright Regional Council of Ontario and X-energy Canada Collaborate for Future Small Modular Reactor Workforce
- 08-Nov-2022 04:29 PM JOBS Hybrid Working Is Driving Demand For Offices With Less Of A Commute
- 04-Nov-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Help Diversify Your Teaching Workforce
- 03-Nov-2022 10:22 AM JOBS An Immigration Plan to Grow the Economy
- 03-Nov-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Porter Aviation Holdings Inc., OIAA Investing Over $65 Million At Ottawa International Airport
- 02-Nov-2022 03:28 PM JOBS Google Canada Opens Doors To New Office In Downtown Montréal And Commits $2.75 Million Towards Québec's Tech Ecosystem & Digital Skills Training
- 27-Oct-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Greater Toronto Airports Authority awards $387,000 in funding to six organizations to help combat underemployment
- 26-Oct-2022 06:31 PM JOBS Telecommunications Sector Directly Contributes Nearly $75 Billion to Canada's Economy and Supports Over 650,000 Jobs, According to New Report
- 03-Oct-2022 04:21 PM JOBS GardaWorld To Hold National Hiring Day on October 4, 2022
- 24-Sep-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Easier Access To Permanent Residence For Physicians In Canada To Help Address Doctor Shortages
- 19-Sep-2022 04:30 PM CX Work Is Becoming More Flexible And Specialized In A Bid To Tackle "People Paradox," Says MIT Technology Review Insights
- 15-Sep-2022 10:22 AM JOBS Province Partnering with Three Fires Nations to Strengthen Economy in Southwestern Ontario
- 03-Sep-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Tackling Immigration Backlogs To Help Canadian Businesses Grow
- 01-Sep-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Retaining And Recruiting Nurses: Key To Getting Canada's Health System Back On Its Feet
- 31-Aug-2022 06:29 PM JOBS Government Of Canada Helps To Create At Least 2,100 Apprenticeship Positions In British Columbia
- 24-Aug-2022 02:21 PM JOBS Mcdonald's Canada Is Hiring Another 20,000+ New Employees To Join One Of The Country's Biggest And Best Teams This Fall
- 17-Aug-2022 06:33 PM JOBS Canadian Pharmaceutical Innovators Collaborating To Produce Monkeypox Vaccine
- 09-Aug-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Canadian Pharmaceutical Innovators Collaborating To Produce Monkeypox Vaccine
- 18-Jul-2022 10:14 AM JOBS Ukrainian Refugees Find Employment In Ontario, Canada Through Joblio Platform
- 18-Jul-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Casino Workers Across Ontario Poised To Strike
- 17-Jul-2022 10:26 AM JOBS Government of Canada takes a step toward making 10 days of paid sick leave a reality
- 10-Jun-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Government of Canada helps to create more than 25,000 apprenticeship positions across Canada
- 05-Jun-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Three Ontario colleges partner to launch a 4-year Business degree for tradespeople
- 03-Jun-2022 02:23 PM JOBS Survey of over 52 000 workers indicates the Great Resignation is set to continue as pressure on pay mounts
- 01-Jun-2022 12:00 PM JOBS New work permit for Quebec skilled workers now open for applications
- 31-May-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Talogy presents new research and innovations as talent assessment volume expected to climb to pre-pandemic levels
- 29-Apr-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Government of Canada announces Workforce Solutions Road Map
- 22-Apr-2022 10:22 AM JOBS Ontario Training Nearly 1,500 People for Plumbing and Piping Careers
- 20-Apr-2022 10:27 AM JOBS Amazon Canada launches its most advanced robotics facility in Hamilton, Ontario
- 19-Apr-2022 12:33 PM JOBS Ontario Offering Free Training for Roofing and Drywall Careers in Niagara
- 07-Apr-2022 04:48 PM JOBS Government of Canada secures thousands of jobs and helps create Canada's first full-scale commercial electric vehicle manufacturing facility
- 07-Apr-2022 12:00 PM JOBS More meaning, better flexibility have become the new work perks for Canadians, says new survey from ServiceNow
- 04-Apr-2022 08:00 AM JOBS St. Lawrence Market to host job fair on Thursday, April 7
- 03-Apr-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Can you Imagine Marine Job?
- 02-Apr-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Government of Canada launches fund to support research trainees from Ukraine
- 01-Apr-2022 08:00 AM JOBS The Centre Eureka opens its doors to the integration of refugees into the workforce
- 29-Mar-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Pandemic fallout: Canadian workers losing 41 working days per year to absences and presenteeism: Manulife Wellness Report
- 24-Mar-2022 10:19 AM JOBS Honda of Canada Mfg. to Invest more than $1.38 billion in Ontario Manufacturing Plants in Preparation for Electrified Future
- 23-Mar-2022 02:22 PM JOBS First Large-scale EV Battery Plant To Be Built in Windsor, Canada
- 23-Mar-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Ontario Training More Doctors in Scarborough
- 22-Mar-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Calgary's leading-edge companies to create more than 1,000 new jobs
- 20-Mar-2022 02:25 PM JOBS Walmart Announces Plans to Hire 5,000+ Tech Workers this Year, Expands to New Locatio
- 27-Jan-2022 12:00 PM JOB Call for proposals launched to help Canadians enter the labour market
- 26-Jan-2022 08:19 PM JOB TD to hire over 2,000 technology roles in 2022
- 26-Jan-2022 04:27 PM JOB The largest T&T Supermarket in the country will be located in Saint-Laurent, Montréal
- 24-Jan-2022 04:30 PM JOB Successfully fighting the labour shortage
- 16-Jan-2019 06:10 PM Ontario Advocates for Auto Sector Jobs and Investment
- 09-Jan-2019 10:00 AM 63% of Canadians Consider Health and Wellness Offerings When Choosing a Job
- 12-Dec-2018 02:03 PM VIA workers hold national protest to keep jobs in Canada
- 25-May-2018 06:13 PM 2018 Yorkdale. How To Find Job at Yorkdale (4K, images)
- 25-May-2018 06:00 PM 2018 Yorkdale: How To Find Job at Yorkdale