CX Work Is Becoming More Flexible And Specialized In A Bid To Tackle "People Paradox," Says MIT Technology Review Insights
Monday, 19 September 2022 16:30.PM
A new report by MIT Technology Review Insights explores how global organizations are reassessing their customer experience (CX) workforce and processes in the post-pandemic era.
The report, "Customer experience and the future of work," is produced in association with Genesys and is based on a survey of 800 senior executives as well as in-depth interviews with business executives and experts at organizations including IBM, AT&T, Zurich Insurance, Marriott International, and Probe CX. The findings are as follows:
• There is a "people paradox" in relation to customer experience staff. Almost nine out of 10 survey respondents recognize CX as a strategic differentiator of their brand. However, the research also finds contradictory views about the employees who interact with customers on a daily basis: employers are more concerned with the challenge of finding new employees than retaining those they already have.
• Covid-19 has catalyzed a long-term shift toward flexible working for contact center employees. According to the survey, the remote and hybrid working models rapidly deployed during the pandemic are here to stay. More than one-third of contact center employees will be permitted to work remotely by 2024, and a further 23% will be in a hybrid arrangement.
• Remote working has numerous benefits but productivity and culture concerns remain. More than eight out of 10 survey respondents say hybrid or remote work options allow them to better retain staff by offering flexible schedules. Some 60% of them say it lowers staff stress levels and improves their mental health, and more than half find it offers access to brand advocates or those with deeper knowledge. However, many CX leaders also have concerns about lower productivity, inconsistent customer service, and a negative impact on culture and collaboration.
• CX work will require a more specialized and technical skill set as well as shifts in workforce strategy. More than two-thirds of survey respondents expect CX work to become more specialized in the coming two years. The skills they will require include data and analytics, customer journey optimization, specialized product knowledge and emotional intelligence. To develop these high-value skills, organizations predict expanding the number of full-time CX employees, hire more learning and development specialists, and explore "gig work" models.
• Learning and development is a strategic focus area for improving the CX employee value proposition. More than two-thirds of survey respondents identify learning and development as an area of the CX employee lifecycle in most need of improvement, and nearly half consider insufficient learning and development opportunities to be one of their employees' greatest daily frustrations.
"A successful CX organization will ensure that vital 'voice-of-the-customer' insights are permeated across different departments to improve their processes, and employees understand how the organization works and what career paths are available to them," says Laurel Ruma, Global Director of Custom Content, MIT Technology Review Insights. "Yet the 'people paradox' still exists. CX leaders are more concerned about the challenge of bringing in new people than they are about the volume of people leaving. This approach to employees has to change. Organizations that don't start thinking differently will continue to lose people and the customer experience will suffer."
"It's time to rethink how we approach the employee experience with intentionality and empathy," said Merijn te Booij, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Workforce Engagement Management at Genesys. "Instead of accepting high attrition as an inevitability, organizations need to invest in developing and retaining highly trained and engaged staff who deliver the best customer experience. Providing your CX workforce with the right path for their long-term success is a win-win scenario that leads to happier employees, better customer loyalty, and ultimately better business results."
SOURCE: MIT Technology Review Insights
- 03-Oct-2022 04:21 PM JOBS GardaWorld To Hold National Hiring Day on October 4, 2022
- 24-Sep-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Easier Access To Permanent Residence For Physicians In Canada To Help Address Doctor Shortages
- 15-Sep-2022 10:22 AM JOBS Province Partnering with Three Fires Nations to Strengthen Economy in Southwestern Ontario
- 03-Sep-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Tackling Immigration Backlogs To Help Canadian Businesses Grow
- 01-Sep-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Retaining And Recruiting Nurses: Key To Getting Canada's Health System Back On Its Feet
- 31-Aug-2022 06:29 PM JOBS Government Of Canada Helps To Create At Least 2,100 Apprenticeship Positions In British Columbia
- 30-Aug-2022 04:23 PM JOBS Government Of Canada Announces New Partnership To Create At Least 5,200 More Apprenticeships In Atlantic Canada
- 24-Aug-2022 02:21 PM JOBS Mcdonald's Canada Is Hiring Another 20,000+ New Employees To Join One Of The Country's Biggest And Best Teams This Fall
- 17-Aug-2022 06:33 PM JOBS Canadian Pharmaceutical Innovators Collaborating To Produce Monkeypox Vaccine
- 09-Aug-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Canadian Pharmaceutical Innovators Collaborating To Produce Monkeypox Vaccine
- 18-Jul-2022 10:14 AM JOBS Ukrainian Refugees Find Employment In Ontario, Canada Through Joblio Platform
- 18-Jul-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Casino Workers Across Ontario Poised To Strike
- 17-Jul-2022 10:26 AM JOBS Government of Canada takes a step toward making 10 days of paid sick leave a reality
- 10-Jun-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Government of Canada helps to create more than 25,000 apprenticeship positions across Canada
- 05-Jun-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Three Ontario colleges partner to launch a 4-year Business degree for tradespeople
- 03-Jun-2022 02:23 PM JOBS Survey of over 52 000 workers indicates the Great Resignation is set to continue as pressure on pay mounts
- 01-Jun-2022 12:00 PM JOBS New work permit for Quebec skilled workers now open for applications
- 31-May-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Talogy presents new research and innovations as talent assessment volume expected to climb to pre-pandemic levels
- 29-Apr-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Government of Canada announces Workforce Solutions Road Map
- 22-Apr-2022 10:22 AM JOBS Ontario Training Nearly 1,500 People for Plumbing and Piping Careers
- 20-Apr-2022 10:27 AM JOBS Amazon Canada launches its most advanced robotics facility in Hamilton, Ontario
- 19-Apr-2022 12:33 PM JOBS Ontario Offering Free Training for Roofing and Drywall Careers in Niagara
- 07-Apr-2022 04:48 PM JOBS Government of Canada secures thousands of jobs and helps create Canada's first full-scale commercial electric vehicle manufacturing facility
- 07-Apr-2022 12:00 PM JOBS More meaning, better flexibility have become the new work perks for Canadians, says new survey from ServiceNow
- 04-Apr-2022 08:00 AM JOBS St. Lawrence Market to host job fair on Thursday, April 7
- 03-Apr-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Can you Imagine Marine Job?
- 02-Apr-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Government of Canada launches fund to support research trainees from Ukraine
- 01-Apr-2022 08:00 AM JOBS The Centre Eureka opens its doors to the integration of refugees into the workforce
- 29-Mar-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Pandemic fallout: Canadian workers losing 41 working days per year to absences and presenteeism: Manulife Wellness Report
- 24-Mar-2022 10:19 AM JOBS Honda of Canada Mfg. to Invest more than $1.38 billion in Ontario Manufacturing Plants in Preparation for Electrified Future
- 23-Mar-2022 02:22 PM JOBS First Large-scale EV Battery Plant To Be Built in Windsor, Canada
- 23-Mar-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Ontario Training More Doctors in Scarborough
- 22-Mar-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Calgary's leading-edge companies to create more than 1,000 new jobs
- 20-Mar-2022 02:25 PM JOBS Walmart Announces Plans to Hire 5,000+ Tech Workers this Year, Expands to New Locatio
- 27-Jan-2022 12:00 PM JOB Call for proposals launched to help Canadians enter the labour market
- 26-Jan-2022 08:19 PM JOB TD to hire over 2,000 technology roles in 2022
- 26-Jan-2022 04:27 PM JOB The largest T&T Supermarket in the country will be located in Saint-Laurent, Montréal
- 24-Jan-2022 04:30 PM JOB Successfully fighting the labour shortage
- 16-Jan-2019 06:10 PM Ontario Advocates for Auto Sector Jobs and Investment
- 09-Jan-2019 10:00 AM 63% of Canadians Consider Health and Wellness Offerings When Choosing a Job
- 12-Dec-2018 02:03 PM VIA workers hold national protest to keep jobs in Canada
- 25-May-2018 06:13 PM 2018 Yorkdale. How To Find Job at Yorkdale (4K, images)
- 25-May-2018 06:00 PM 2018 Yorkdale: How To Find Job at Yorkdale