🎁 Travelling for US Thanksgiving or Black Friday deals? The CBSA offers tips to facilitate your border crossing
Wednesday, 23 November 2022 10:35.AM
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) reminds all travellers of what to expect when crossing the border this US Thanksgiving and Black Friday, whether they will be returning to or visiting Canada.
Here are some tips for travellers to prepare for a smoother trip crossing the border during this upcoming US Thanksgiving holiday and Black Friday
• Plan ahead and check border wait times. Travellers crossing the border by land are encouraged to cross during non-peak hours, such as early morning. The Mondays of holiday long weekends tend to be the busiest, with longer border wait times.
• Use Advance CBSA Declaration. Travellers arriving at the Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Winnipeg, and Halifax international airports can choose to submit their customs and immigration declaration to the CBSA prior to their arrival using the Advance CBSA Declaration feature within ArriveCAN and save time at the border.
• Ensure you are eligible to enter Canada. Foreign nationals must meet the admissibility requirements under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations, and ensure they carry all necessary travel and immigration documentation. Admissibility decisions are made by a border services officer at the time of entry.
• Know your exemption limits. Returning residents planning to make purchases or pick up online purchases across the border should be aware of their personal exemption limits. Be sure to check the CBSA duty and taxes estimator to calculate taxes on goods purchased in the United States and to help make informed decisions when shopping abroad.
• Be prepared to declare. All travellers must declare their goods upon entry into Canada. If travelling with gifts, it is recommended they not be wrapped. For returning residents, have your receipts readily available for goods purchased or received while outside of Canada. Travellers can consult the CBSA's website for information on firearms and other restricted and prohibited goods.
• Cannabis: Don't bring it in. Don't take it out. Transporting cannabis across the border in any form, including any oils containing tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) or cannabidiol (CBD), without a permit or exemption authorized by Health Canada remains a serious criminal offence subject to arrest and prosecution, despite the legalization of cannabis in Canada. A medical prescription from a doctor does not count as Health Canada authorization.
• Declare any foods, plants, or animals such as raw meats, fruits, house plants, live animals, wood products (including firewood and wooden souvenirs) at the border. Be sure to check the Automated Import Reference System to help determine all specific import requirements.
• Avoid importing raw poultry products or by-products. There are currently restrictions on imports of live birds, bird products and by-products from U.S. states affected by Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza. It is recommended you not bring poultry products – including a turkey, eggs, and/or chicken – into Canada. Otherwise, be prepared to prove the origin of your poultry product at the border.
• When travelling with children, it is recommended that the accompanying adult have a consent letter authorizing them to travel with the child. Border services officers are always watching for missing children, and in the absence of the letter, officers may ask additional questions, to help them identify the relationship between the child and the accompanying adult.
For more information, visit the CBSA Web site or call us at 1-800-461-9999.
• Plan your trip across the border
• Residents returning to Canada
• Border reminder checklist
• Advance CBSA Declaration video
• Our Missing Children program
SOURCE: Canada Border Services Agency
- 20-Nov-2022 06:41 PM 🎁 Mastermind Toys Releases Inaugural 2022 Canadian Play Report
- 19-Nov-2022 06:44 PM 🎄 Paypal Survey Reveals Over Half Of Canadians Are Too Embarrassed To Ask For Financial Help This Holiday Season
- 19-Nov-2022 04:33 PM 🎁 Givex Survey Highlights: 66% of U.S. Consumers Say Inflation Will Impact Holiday Spending
- 18-Nov-2022 07:30 PM 🎄 Cadillac Fairview Transforms CF Toronto Eaton Centre into a Winter Wonderland
- 18-Nov-2022 02:23 PM 🎁 Canadians Cutting Spending Now to Make the Most of Holiday Season, Accenture Survey Finds
- 18-Nov-2022 10:33 AM 🎅🤶 Upcoming Event: The 118Th Original Santa Claus Parade Will Be Live On The Streets Of Toronto In 2022
- 17-Nov-2022 04:09 PM 🎅 Best Buy Canada To Light Up The Skies For The Country's Biggest Ever Drone Show
- 17-Nov-2022 12:00 PM 🎁 Affordability And Sustainability Dominating Shopping Behaviours This Holiday Season, Finds EY Survey
- 17-Nov-2022 11:02 AM 🎄 Upcoming Event: Cadillac Fairview to Host Magical Holiday Celebration at CF Toronto Eaton Centre on November 17
- 17-Nov-2022 09:12 AM Upcoming Event: RBC Challenge: Climbing To The Top Of Place Ville Marie To Lighten The Burden Of Poverty
- 16-Nov-2022 08:37 PM 🎅 Swarovski At The Mark Hotel In New York: A Holiday Wonderland
- 16-Nov-2022 10:22 AM Upcoming Event: War Child Canada To Host Star-Studded Gala, The World That's Possible, At The Royal Ontario Museum On December 5Th, 2022
- 15-Nov-2022 12:00 PM 🎄 Cadillac Fairview Lights Up The Holiday Season With Four Tree Lighting Ceremonies Across Ontario On November 18
- 15-Nov-2022 08:00 AM 🎄 Northern Lights, Toronto's Newest And Most Immersive Outdoor Holiday Experience, Reinvigorates The Spirit Of The Holiday Season
- 14-Nov-2022 04:33 PM 🎄 Moët & Chandon Presents The Art of Gifting: A Holiday Bespoke Experience
- 14-Nov-2022 08:00 AM 🎅 The PC Insiders Report is Here for the Holidays
- 07-Nov-2022 10:23 AM 🎄 Cadillac Fairview and Canadian Music Stars Partner to Deliver Holiday Memories
- 27-Oct-2022 08:00 AM Upcoming Event: The Distillery Winter Village Returns November 17 With Official Tree Lighting Ceremony
- 14-Oct-2022 02:33 PM Upcoming Event: Radiodays North America Comes To Toronto In June 2023!
- 13-Oct-2022 04:33 PM Upcoming Event: The 118th Original Santa Claus Parade Will Be Live On The Streets Of Toronto In 2022
- 13-Oct-2022 02:18 PM Upcoming Event: BoomerangFX to host Canada's First Aesthetic Medicine Expo Featuring Female Entrepreneurs & Newest Technology Innovations
- 15-Sep-2022 02:33 PM Happening Now: Attendance Record For VIKINGS - Dragons Of The Northern Seas!
- 11-Sep-2022 10:23 AM Upcoming Event: Toronto Welcomes The Taste Of Iceland Festival From Sept 22-25
- 10-Sep-2022 02:33 PM Upcoming Event: SIP Niagara Invites You To A 2-Day Food & Beverage Festival
- 04-Sep-2022 10:23 AM Upcoming Event: Scotiabank Partnering with UNINTERRUPTED Canada as Presenting Sponsor of Original Documentary "BLACK ICE"
- 03-Sep-2022 08:00 AM Upcoming Event: For The First Time Since 2019, The Terry Fox Run Returns In Person To Nearly 600 Communities Across Canada On September 18
- 31-Aug-2022 04:21 PM Upcoming Event: A Full-Colour 35Th Edition For The Gatineau Hot Air Balloon Festival
- 31-Aug-2022 12:00 PM Upcoming Event: Award-Winning Dance Company, CORPUS Returns to the Junction!
- 30-Aug-2022 10:22 AM Upcoming Event: Niagara Grape & Wine Festival Celebrates 70 Years In A Big Way With Stylish Upgrades, Parading Puppies And A Full Month Of Harvest Fun
- 29-Aug-2022 06:19 PM Happening Now: World-Renowned Artist Kelsey Montague's Interactive Street Art Brings A Fresh Look To Downtown Burlington
- 27-Aug-2022 12:00 PM Upcoming Event: IBM And Evoke Announce Dates For 2022 Weavesphere Tech Conference In Toronto
- 26-Aug-2022 08:01 PM Happening Now: David Cash Brings High-End Large-Scale Artworks To Curation Of Decentraland's Metaverse Art Week
- 26-Aug-2022 12:00 PM Upcoming Event: The Culinary Tourism Alliance Announces More Locations For Autumn 'Feast On® The Farm' Events: An Immersive Outdoor Event Series Featuring Local Food And Drink
- 24-Aug-2022 10:13 AM Upcoming Event: FAN EXPO Canada Gets Even Stranger As Stranger Things Stars Finn Wolfhard, Jamie Campbell Bower, And Grace Van Dien Join Joseph Quinn At FAN EXPO Canada 2022
- 18-Aug-2022 08:00 AM Upcoming Event: Anthony Di Iorio Opens Whitelist for New Global Project to Empower a User-Controlled Internet; Project to Be Unveiled November 3
- 09-Aug-2022 10:10 AM Upcoming Event: canfitpro Global Conference Gets Toronto Sweating August 10-14
- 26-Jul-2022 08:00 AM Upcoming Event: The Cinesphere Invites Moviegoers To Strap Into Their Seats This Summer With Top Gun: Maverick And Apollo 11 In IMAX
- 25-Jul-2022 12:00 PM Upcoming Event: Ukraine And Me Determines To Help Ukraine
- 24-Jul-2022 12:00 PM Happening Now: Life-size World of Barbie Interactive Attraction Opens at Square One
- 16-Jul-2022 02:34 PM Budget 2022 Return of festivals: Don't miss out on the many Canadian culture and heritage events happening across the country!
- 08-Jul-2022 12:00 PM Happening Now: Montana's All-You-Can-Eat Ribfest expands with a rib tour across Canada
- 05-Jul-2022 04:22 PM Happening Now: Canada's biggest Margarita Festival is back - Margapalooza 2022
- 01-Jul-2022 01:51 PM Happening Now: Canada Day fireworks
- 30-Jun-2022 12:00 PM Upcoming event: Toronto History Museums to permanently provide free general admission year-round It’s ON at Ontario Place This Summer
- 27-Jun-2022 03:46 PM Upcoming event: Canada Day with free admission at national parks, historic sites, and marine conservation areas
- 27-Jun-2022 08:00 AM Upcoming event: Canada Day celebrations taking place across Toronto on July 1
- 09-Jun-2022 04:33 PM Upcoming event: Discover Canada Day 2022 live performances and celebrations
- 04-Jun-2022 10:23 AM Upcoming event: Montréal Will Host The World Triathlon Championships In A Month!
- 27-May-2022 08:17 PM Upcoming event: Mad Apple By Cirque Du Soleil Premieres At New York-New York Hotel & Casino In Las Vegas
- 29-Apr-2022 12:00 PM Upcoming event: Toronto History Museums to permanently provide free general admission year-round
- 29-Apr-2022 10:22 AM Upcoming event: Toot-Toot if you're coming! Redpath Waterfront Festival IS Coming Back
- 21-Apr-2022 08:00 AM Upcoming Event: Redpath Waterfront Festival Returns to Toronto with a Splash!
- 19-Apr-2022 05:13 PM Upcoming Event: The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair Returns To Celebrate A Century Of Champions