Budget 2021 The Government Of Canada Launches Formal Consultations To Streamline Reporting Of Payroll Information
Friday, 16 December 2022 02:39.PM
The Government of Canada is committed to refining the way it delivers programs and services to Canadians and modernizing how businesses provide payroll information to the federal government, while protecting their personal information.
Today, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) are launching formal consultations as part of a large scale ePayroll reporting solution project. A key goal of the project is to modernize and simplify how employers report payroll, employment, and demographic information to the Government of Canada. From December 6, 2022 until January 27, 2023, the CRA and ESDC will consult with employers, stakeholder groups, payroll software and service providers, to identify challenges they currently face with payroll reporting and opportunities to improve their experience. In addition to these consultations, individuals will have the opportunity to provide feedback through an online survey.
The CRA and ESDC will consider the input they receive to inform a proposal for a future implementation of a real-time ePayroll system, and ensure that businesses of all sizes benefit from this work, by March 2024. Interested parties can learn more on how to participate in the consultations by visiting the project web page. The CRA and ESDC are committed to conducting an open, fair and inclusive consultation process to help guide its recommendation.
Currently, employers must provide the same or similar information to multiple government departments at different times, such as to the CRA for tax purposes or to ESDC for Employment Insurance benefits. Government requests are also not always aligned to information employers have readily available in their payroll systems. Canadian businesses would benefit from this modernization and streamlining by being able to share information directly with the Government of Canada in one place, reducing duplication and effort, it would also improve the speed and accuracy of delivering services and benefits to Canadians.
"Through this important consultation, we want to hear from businesses, employers, and any interested party. The Agency is committed to hearing the needs of all stakeholders for an ePayroll reporting solution that both reduces the reporting burden on employers and protects the personal information of Canadians."
- The Honourable Diane Lebouthillier, Minister of National Revenue
"The Government of Canada is continuously working to simplify processes to better serve Canadians. The ePayroll reporting solution is expected to reduce the administrative burden for more than a million businesses, while improving the Government's ability to deliver services and benefits for Canadians. As we take another step toward carrying out this project, we recognize the valuable contribution stakeholders at all levels can make in shaping a solution that will directly impact them."
- The Honourable Karina Gould, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development
• Budget 2021 provided $43.9 million over three years for the CRA and ESDC to explore options for an ePayroll reporting solution that could make it easier and faster to deliver services and benefits to Canadians.
• The consultations surrounding the ePayroll reporting solution will open on December 6, 2022, and will close to input on January 27, 2023.
• The CRA and ESDC have already held informal discussions with interested parties.
• Feedback from the consultations will be posted on Canada.ca.
- 18-Mar-2023 10:15 AM TAX TIP Confirm My Representative is Now Available for Business Owners
- 14-Mar-2023 08:20 PM TAX TIP Thinking of Calling Us? Before You Do, Find The Answers You Need for Tax-Filing Season!
- 12-Mar-2023 08:29 PM TAX TIP Ready to File Your Taxes? Here's Why You Should Go Digital
- 09-Mar-2023 10:23 AM 💵 Canada Launches New Small Modular Reactor Funding Program
- 13-Feb-2023 02:22 PM TAX TIP Were You Invited to File Your Taxes Over the Phone?
- 09-Feb-2023 08:00 AM TAX TIP Electronic Filing Of Special Elections And Returns Is Now Available
- 07-Feb-2023 10:33 AM ⚕️👨⚕️ Primary Care Leaders Urge Canada's Premiers and Federal Government to Strike a Deal That Focuses on Expanding Team-Based Primary Care Including Access to a Primary Care Provider
- 05-Feb-2023 08:00 AM 🚗🔌 Government of Canada Launches New Intake Model for Zero-Emission Vehicles Infrastructure Funding
- 30-Jan-2023 06:40 PM Taxpayers' Ombudsperson Recommends Ways To Improve Communication From The Canada Revenue Agency
- 27-Jan-2023 10:34 AM ONTARIO 💵 Government Of Canada Announces Projects In Kingston To Support Seniors
- 24-Jan-2023 04:18 PM TAX TIP Seniors: We've Got Tips To Help You This Tax Season!
- 21-Jan-2023 02:19 PM 💵✈️🧳 Government of Canada invests in recovery of small tourism businesses with support for two major partners in Quebec
- 19-Jan-2023 04:28 PM TAX TIP Here's what you need to know if you're filing your taxes by paper
- 16-Jan-2023 08:00 AM ⚕️ Government Of Canada Investing Nearly $7 Million For Young People's Mental Health
- 21-Dec-2022 06:22 PM 🚗 Let It Roll: The Government Of Canada Moves To Increase The Supply Of Electric Vehicles For Canadians
- 15-Dec-2022 12:00 PM Regional Quantum Initiative launches in British Columbia
- 10-Dec-2022 02:04 PM JOBS Ontario Moving Forward on Plan to Build with Bill 36 Passage
- 10-Nov-2022 02:22 PM Minister Hutchings Highlights Federal Government's Plan To Eliminate Interest On Student And Apprentice Loans And Enhance The Canada Workers Benefit
- 04-Nov-2022 10:43 AM TAX TIP Six month doubling of GST credit payment starts November 4, 2022
- 03-Nov-2022 02:28 PM Government Of Canada Launches Consultations On A Pan-Canadian School Food Policy
- 02-Nov-2022 04:11 PM The Government Of Canada Makes Repayment Assistance Plans More Flexible For Canada Student Loan And Canada Apprentice Loan Borrowers
- 01-Nov-2022 06:37 PM ⚕️👩 Health Canada Announces Coalition For Action For Health Workers
- 03-Sep-2022 10:22 AM Government of Canada Strengthens Access to Sexual and Reproductive Health Services for Youth
- 31-Aug-2022 06:29 PM JOBS Government Of Canada Helps To Create At Least 2,100 Apprenticeship Positions In British Columbia
- 25-Aug-2022 02:20 PM TAX TIP Do You Have Questions About Filing As A Business For The First Time? The CRA Is Here To Help
- 05-Aug-2022 08:00 AM TAX TIP Here Are Answers To Five Of The Top Business Tax Information Questions
- 16-Jul-2022 02:34 PM Budget 2022 Return of festivals: Don't miss out on the many Canadian culture and heritage events happening across the country!
- 16-Jul-2022 08:00 AM TAX TIP Do you have questions about filing as a business for the first time? The CRA is here to help
- 21-Jun-2022 11:14 AM City of Toronto issues 2022 final property tax bills
- 10-Jun-2022 12:00 PM Further strengthening our gun control laws
- 10-Jun-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Government of Canada helps to create more than 25,000 apprenticeship positions across Canada
- 03-Jun-2022 08:00 AM TAX TIP June 15, 2022, is the deadline for self-employed individuals to file their 2021 income tax and benefit return
- 28-Apr-2022 06:33 PM Budget 2022 Ontario’s Plan to Build
- 20-Apr-2022 02:28 PM Budget 2022 Minister Alghabra announces Budget 2022 investments to make life more affordable for seniors and all Canadians
- 20-Apr-2022 12:00 PM Budget 2022 Minister Ien highlights how Budget 2022 is making life more affordable for Canadians
- 19-Apr-2022 01:48 PM Budget 2022: Jobs And Growth Investments, And Cutting Taxes For Small Businesses
- 18-Apr-2022 04:27 PM Budget 2022 Helping young people get into the housing market
- 17-Apr-2022 02:27 PM Budget 2022 Minister Khera highlights investments in Good Jobs, Clean Air and a Strong Economy
- 17-Apr-2022 08:00 AM TAX TIP Businesses: Protect yourself from scams and fraud - know what to expect from the CRA
- 15-Apr-2022 02:22 PM TAX TIP Are you self-employed? The Canada Revenue Agency can help you understand your tax obligations
- 13-Apr-2022 12:00 PM TAX TIP How to find help if you can't pay your taxes
- 12-Apr-2022 08:23 AM Budget 2022: Minister Anand Announces New EV Chargers Coming to Ontario, Highlights Further Zero-Emission Vehicle Investments
- 12-Apr-2022 08:00 AM Budget 2022: Minister Gould highlights clean air and a strong economy investments
- 01-Apr-2022 10:22 AM TAX TIP Did you buy, build, sell or renovate a home in 2021? Here's what you need to know
- 28-Mar-2022 02:02 PM TAX TIP Make sure you maximize the benefits you are entitled to if you are First Nations, Inuit, or Métis
- 27-Mar-2022 12:00 PM TAX TIP It's tax time! You've got questions? We've got answers
- 26-Mar-2022 10:59 AM TAX TIP Do you work in the gig economy? Here's what you need to know
- 23-Mar-2022 04:22 PM TAX TIP How to verify the CRA has contacted you
- 21-Mar-2022 04:33 PM TAX TIP Do you work in the sharing economy? Here's what you need to know
- 20-Mar-2022 04:46 PM TAX TIP Making changes to your business? The Canada Revenue Agency is here to help!
- 19-Mar-2022 10:23 AM TAX TIP Are you a peer-to-peer seller? Here's what you need to know
- 17-Mar-2022 08:38 PM TAX TIP Are you a social media influencer? Here's what you need to know
- 15-Mar-2022 12:00 PM TAX TIP Before you call: Find the answers you need for the 2022 tax-filing season
- 10-Mar-2022 10:22 AM TAX TIP Small and medium business audits: What you need to know
- 11-Feb-2022 12:00 PM TAX TIP Avoid last minute delays at tax time by setting up My Account
- 07-Feb-2022 02:27 PM TAX TIP Investing in cryptocurrency
- 27-Jan-2022 06:33 PM TAX TIP What is cryptocurrency?
- 25-Jan-2022 12:00 PM TAX TIP Running a business is difficult; understanding your tax obligations
- 30-Nov-2021 08:00 AM TAX TIP Avoid last minute delays at tax time by setting up My Account
- 17-Nov-2021 02:14 PM TAX TIP Understanding the tax-free savings account (TFSA)
- 04-Nov-2021 04:33 PM TAX TIP Canada Revenue Agency announces maximum pensionable earnings for 2022
- 20-Jun-2021 05:33 PM TAX TIP Businesses: Watch out for Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy tax schemes
- 02-Dec-2020 12:00 PM TAX TIP What you should know during times of financial uncertainty
- 01-Sep-2020 02:03 PM TAX TIP Warning to Ontarians: Don't be fooled by the senior homeowners' property tax grant
- 30-Aug-2020 09:07 AM TAX TIP Last call! File your 2019 tax return to keep getting your benefit payments
- 29-Aug-2020 12:02 PM TAX TIP Watch out for offshore leveraged insured annuity schemes
- 28-Aug-2020 05:14 PM TAX TIP Watch out for offshore disability insurance plan schemes
- 13-Mar-2020 10:23 AM TAX TIP New online feature helps you see your uncashed tax cheques
- 02-Apr-2019 12:00 PM Budget 2019: National Pharmacare to Make Prescription Drugs More Accessible and Affordable
- 29-Mar-2019 02:40 PM Budget 2019: Changes Affecting Pension and Benefit Plans
- 29-Mar-2019 08:00 AM Budget 2019: Connecting More people to the Resources, Services and Information
- 27-Mar-2019 06:20 PM Budget 2019: A Secure and Dignified Retirement for Canadian Seniors
- 27-Mar-2019 08:00 AM Budget 2019: Ottawa continues to squeeze beer drinkers
- 26-Mar-2019 02:24 PM Dr. Sherry Cooper: Federal Budget 2019--Actions for Homebuyers
- 25-Mar-2019 02:27 PM Budget 2019: Helping Canadians Find and Keep Good Jobs
- 22-Mar-2019 08:40 PM Budget 2019: Investments in skills and talent recognize central role of universities
- 22-Mar-2019 11:05 AM Budget 2019: Little relief from rising small business taxes
- 21-Mar-2019 08:11 PM Budget 2019 doubles support for municipal infrastructure priorities this year
- 20-Mar-2019 02:25 PM Budget 2019: An Affordable Place to Call Home