2017 Toronto Zoo. Nandu's First Birthday
Saturday, February 18, 2017 3:22:00 PM
The Toronto Zoo is kicking off Family Day Weekend with Zoo families big and small, and a special treat for Indian rhino calf, Nandu, on the occasion of his first birthday.
Nandu now weighs over 1,330 pounds! His horn continues to grow and he is becoming more playful, keepers often find him wresting with mom, Ashakiran. Be sure to visit him this winter in our newly renovated Indian Rhino House.
On the February 17 Zoo staff have prepared a special treat for Nandu - iced cake with apples, carrots and melons. Cake was so sweet espacially for Nandu's mom, who can't stop eating it. Nandu was more shy and every time followed Ashakiran.
His horn continues to grow and he is becoming more playful, keepers often find him wresting with mom, Ashakiran.
Nandu continues to nurse from mom Ashakiran occasionally, however they are usually weaned around 12-18 months so nursing will decrease as time goes on. He eats hay, various amounts of produce, and cubes (which consist of hay with added vitamins and minerals) on a daily basis.
You can visit him and mom Asha daily in the newly renovated Indian rhino pavilion!
- 25-May-2020 11:49 AM 2020 Toronto Zoo Scenic Safari Drive-Thru for avoiding coronavirus COVID-19
- 25-May-2020 08:00 AM 2020 Toronto Zoo Scenic Safari Drive-Thru
- 21-May-2020 11:44 AM 2020 Toronto Zoo Walkthrough for avoiding coronavirus COVID-19. Beautiful Spring (4K, images)
- 21-May-2020 09:15 AM 2020 Toronto Zoo. Playful Grizzly Bear. Avoid coronavirus COVID-19 (4K, images)
- 20-May-2020 08:23 AM 2020 Toronto Zoo Walkthrough. Beautiful Spring
- 17-May-2020 01:35 PM 2020 Toronto Zoo. Playful Grizzly Bear
- 15-May-2020 08:41 PM 2020 Toronto Zoo. Playful Baby Giraffe. Avoid coronavirus COVID-19 (4K, images)
- 15-May-2020 08:00 AM 2020 Toronto Zoo. Playful Baby Giraffe
- 30-Mar-2020 11:12 PM 2020 Toronto Zoo Walkthrough. Winter Wonderland
- 30-Mar-2020 11:01 PM 2020 Toronto Zoo Walkthrough. Winter Wonderland (4K, images)