ONTARIO JOBS 💵 Ontario Strengthening Mining Industry Innovation and Development in the Northeast
Saturday, 11 November 2023 04:31.PM
- Province investing in mining supply and services sector in Northeastern Ontario -
The Ontario government is providing more than $4.1 million through the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) to five mining supply and services projects in Northeastern Ontario.
The NOHFC promotes economic prosperity across Northern Ontario by providing financial assistance to projects that stimulate growth, job creation and skills development.
“These investments will support our province’s growing mining industry and help build-up our home-grown electric vehicle and battery supply chain,” said Premier Doug Ford. “Through the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund, our government is helping to create thousands of jobs, attract new investments and spur economic growth in Sudbury and throughout the north.”
Projects funded through the NOHFC include:
• $2 million for Frontier Lithium Inc. in Sudbury to demonstrate a new lithium extraction process that produces high-quality lithium chemicals used in lithium-ion battery and electric vehicle manufacturing. This is a key step before exploring the possibility of establishing a full commercial-scale lithium chemical plant in Northern Ontario that could provide employment opportunities for more than 200 people
• $1 million for Tim McDowell Equipment Ltd. in Sudbury to expand its facility and purchase equipment, allowing the company to expand its operations in supplying heavy equipment to the mining and construction industry and providing repair and rebuilding services
• $399,977 for Z’Gamok Construction LP in Sagamok Anishnawbek First Nation to purchase equipment to expand operations in Algoma-Manitoulin in industrial services including aggregate hauling, site services, and custodial and site security
• $390,000 for MOSWA Fuels in Cochrane to purchase new trucks and tankers to haul fuel to the Detour Lake gold mine to support a five-year contract with Kirkland Lake Gold
• $310,500 for Rocvent Inc. and 1887571 Ontario Inc., a manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) flexible mine ducting in Sudbury, to purchase new equipment that will more than double production of their high frequency welding units.
“We continue to make targeted investments in business development, as well as innovative technology developed right here in Northern Ontario,” said Greg Rickford, Minister of Northern Development. “Not only does today’s funding strenghten the mining supply and services sector, but it also supports our government’s Critical Minerals Strategy and our goal of being a supplier, producer and manufacturer of choice for critical minerals."
“Our government is building an integrated supply chain through our Critical Minerals Strategy by investing in critical minerals exploration, innovation and processing,” said George Pirie, Minister of Mines. “We want lithium from Northern Ontario to fuel the electric vehicle manufacturing revolution in the South and this investment in Frontier Lithium will support building the processing and refining capacity we need to get it done. This is another example of Ontario mining companies leading the charge for critical minerals innovation and creating good jobs in communities across the province.”
Since June 2018, the NOHFC has invested more than $724 million in 6,060 projects in Northern Ontario, leveraging more than $2.3 billion in investment and creating or sustaining over 9,440 jobs.
"I would like to express my gratitude for the funding received from the Ontario government and Minister Rickford and for their ongoing support in advancing Frontier Lithium’s chemical test work. This investment in innovation supports critical minerals processing and refining capability in Ontario and brings our project another step closer to commercialization."
- Trevor Walker
President and Chief Executive Officer, Frontier Lithium
The Ontario government launched new and improved NOHFC programs that support more projects in rural northern communities and make it easier for more people and businesses to apply. The programs target existing and emerging markets, provide more work opportunities for Indigenous people and address the skilled labour shortage in the North.
SOURCE: Ontario Premier's Office
- 04-Dec-2023 08:00 AM ONTARIO 🧑🚗🚓👮 IBC Commends the Ontario Government for Taking Action to Combat Auto Theft 🕵️♀️🔍💵
- 03-Dec-2023 06:33 PM 🍁💵 Canada Increases Support for Asylum Claimants
- 30-Nov-2023 12:00 PM JOBS 🧑🔎👩🏫💻 Microsoft Expands Digital Footprint in Quebec with Usd$500 Million Investment in Infrastructure and Skilling Initiatives 💵
- 29-Nov-2023 02:28 PM ONTARIO 🤓🧑🎓 Ontario's Public Colleges and Ireland's Technological Universities to Collaborate on Programs and Research 💵
- 26-Nov-2023 06:40 PM 🏛️💼📜 Government of Canada Launches Consultation on Legislative Amendments to Counter Foreign Interference in Canada 💵
- 26-Nov-2023 12:00 PM 🚓💵 Federal Cabinet Ministers Issue Statement to Urge Collective Action to End Gender-Based Violence in Canada
- 25-Nov-2023 12:00 PM ONTARIO 🤓🧑🎓 Colleges call for immediate provincial investments and modest five per cent tuition increase 💵
- 17-Nov-2023 12:00 PM TORONTO JOBS 🧑🔎👩🏫💻 Seneca Polytechnic and Siemens Partner to Provide Tools and Training to the Next Generation of Industry Leaders
- 16-Nov-2023 06:25 PM 💵🏅Government Of Canada Announces Funding to Improve Economic Security for Women in Professional Sport
- 16-Nov-2023 04:23 PM 💵⚖️ FP Canada Standards Council™ Opens Consultations on New Proposed Rules of Conduct and Changes to Practice Standards Aimed at Protecting the Public