JOBS Government of Canada secures thousands of jobs and helps create Canada's first full-scale commercial electric vehicle manufacturing facility
Thursday, 07 April 2022 16:48.PM
- General Motors investing over $2 billion at its Oshawa and CAMI assembly plants and launching Canada's first full-scale commercial electric vehicle production facility at the CAMI Assembly Plant in Ingersoll. -
Canada's automotive sector plays a crucial role in our economy; it supports hundreds of thousands of well-paying jobs and drives the development and adoption of clean technology. That's why the Government of Canada is making smart investments to support auto sector jobs, help Canadians get around in cleaner and more affordable ways, and make Canada a global leader in the future economy. Canada's strength in automotive manufacturing, combined with its world-class innovators and its natural resources, position the country to lead in designing and building the vehicles of the future.
Today, the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry, announced an investment of $259 million from the Government of Canada in General Motors of Canada Company (GM). This investment will secure thousands well-paying, high-quality jobs across GM facilities while advancing the electrification of Canada's automotive sector.
Today's investment supports GM's more than $2-billion project to reignite production at its Oshawa Assembly Plant, after operations stopped in 2019, and the transformation of its CAMI Assembly Plant in Ingersoll. This transformation will allow GM's CAMI Assembly Plant to become the first full-scale commercial electric vehicle production facility in Canada. GM's first electric commercial vehicle, the EV600, which uses BrightDrop technology, will be brought into production and commercialized at the CAMI plant in Ingersoll by the end of the year.
"In Oshawa, Ingersoll, and communities across Ontario, auto manufacturers are stepping up to meet demand for clean vehicles and creating thousands of good jobs in the process. Today's investment is an investment in our workers, our communities, and our future. Partnerships like these are critical to putting Canada on the cutting edge of the clean economy, creating thousands of new jobs, and making sure that future generations have a clean environment to live in."
-The Rt. Hon. Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada
• The Government of Ontario is making a matching contribution of up to $259 million toward the project.
• Founded in 1918, General Motors of Canada Company (GM) is one of the largest automotive manufacturers worldwide. It is headquartered in Oshawa, Ontario, and is one of Canada's largest automotive manufacturers.
• GM hopes to set an example of responsible leadership in a world that is faced with climate change. GM is planning to introduce 30 new electric vehicles by 2025, eliminate tailpipe emissions from new light-duty vehicles by 2035 and become carbon neutral in its global products and operations by 2040.
• The CAMI plant in Ingersoll, Ontario, will become Canada's first full-scale electric vehicle production facility and by the end of 2022, will exclusively build electric light-duty commercial vehicles. This will support the decarbonization of transportation emissions in light commercial vehicles in Canada and promote this trend globally.
• GM has committed to expanding its collaborations with academia across Canada to create co-op and job opportunities for students over the course of the project.
• The investment announced today is being made through both the Strategic Innovation Fund and its Net Zero Accelerator initiative.
• The automotive sector contributes $16 billion to Canada's gross domestic product and is one of the country's largest export industries.
• The automotive sector supports the employment of nearly 500,000 Canadians.
SOURCE: Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- 29-Apr-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Government of Canada announces Workforce Solutions Road Map
- 22-Apr-2022 10:22 AM JOBS Ontario Training Nearly 1,500 People for Plumbing and Piping Careers
- 20-Apr-2022 10:27 AM JOBS Amazon Canada launches its most advanced robotics facility in Hamilton, Ontario
- 19-Apr-2022 12:33 PM JOBS Ontario Offering Free Training for Roofing and Drywall Careers in Niagara
- 07-Apr-2022 12:00 PM JOBS More meaning, better flexibility have become the new work perks for Canadians, says new survey from ServiceNow
- 04-Apr-2022 08:00 AM JOBS St. Lawrence Market to host job fair on Thursday, April 7
- 03-Apr-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Can you Imagine Marine Job?
- 02-Apr-2022 12:00 PM JOBS Government of Canada launches fund to support research trainees from Ukraine
- 01-Apr-2022 08:00 AM JOBS The Centre Eureka opens its doors to the integration of refugees into the workforce
- 29-Mar-2022 08:00 AM JOBS Pandemic fallout: Canadian workers losing 41 working days per year to absences and presenteeism: Manulife Wellness Report