Taxpayers' Ombudsperson Recommends Ways To Improve Communication From The Canada Revenue Agency
Monday, 30 January 2023 06:40.PM
The Taxpayers' Ombudsperson, Mr. François Boileau, released The Lockout: Communication Was the Key. This report examined the communications the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) provided to taxpayers after it locked out some users from their CRA accounts in mid-February 2021 in an effort to protect accounts that could have been compromised. Many affected taxpayers expressed concerns about the lack of clear and timely communication from the CRA.
When CRA account users were locked out, the CRA should have been ready with a clear and useful communication strategy to address the concerns of confused, worried and frustrated taxpayers. As a result of the lack of communication from the CRA, our Office opened an examination to analyze the CRA's communication approach and to determine whether there were opportunities for service improvement. Clear communication should have been the CRA's primary concern after safeguarding taxpayer information. Our aim is to ensure that a similar situation does not happen in the future.
The report includes five recommendations to the Minister of National Revenue and the Chair of the CRA's Board of Management:
1. The CRA should review its communications processes to make sure it proactively inform Canadians about issues that could affect them.
2. The CRA should ensure its web page alerts always provide current information.
3. The CRA should ensure that it always provides a link for more information to a Government of Canada web page from its social media posts.
4. The CRA should make the information it provides to media outlets available to Canadians at the same time.
5. The CRA should make sure it has adaptable plans to communicate emerging issues effectively.
"Being transparent with Canadians is incredibly important. When affected CRA account users were locked out, the CRA should have been ready with a clear and useful communication strategy so worried and frustrated Canadians would not have needed to call the CRA. Situations like this should not happen in the future."
Mr. François Boileau, Taxpayers' Ombudsperson
The Office of the Taxpayers' Ombudsperson works independently from the CRA. People can submit complaints to the Office if they feel they are not receiving the appropriate service from the CRA. Our main objective is to improve the service CRA provides to taxpayers and benefit recipients by reviewing individual service complaints, as well as service issues that affect more than one person or a segment of the population.
The Taxpayers' Ombudsperson assists, advises and informs the Minister of National Revenue about matters relating to services provided by the CRA. The Ombudsperson ensures, in particular, that the CRA respects eight of the service rights outlined in the Taxpayer Bill of Rights.
• The Lockout: Communication Was the Key (Full Report)
• Taxpayers' Ombudsperson launches review into the lack in communications regarding access to CRA My Account
SOURCE: Office of the Taxpayers' Ombudsperson
- 18-Mar-2023 10:15 AM TAX TIP Confirm My Representative is Now Available for Business Owners
- 14-Mar-2023 08:20 PM TAX TIP Thinking of Calling Us? Before You Do, Find The Answers You Need for Tax-Filing Season!
- 12-Mar-2023 08:29 PM TAX TIP Ready to File Your Taxes? Here's Why You Should Go Digital
- 13-Feb-2023 02:22 PM TAX TIP Were You Invited to File Your Taxes Over the Phone?
- 09-Feb-2023 08:00 AM TAX TIP Electronic Filing Of Special Elections And Returns Is Now Available
- 24-Jan-2023 04:18 PM TAX TIP Seniors: We've Got Tips To Help You This Tax Season!
- 19-Jan-2023 04:28 PM TAX TIP Here's what you need to know if you're filing your taxes by paper
- 16-Dec-2022 02:39 PM Budget 2021 The Government Of Canada Launches Formal Consultations To Streamline Reporting Of Payroll Information
- 04-Nov-2022 10:43 AM TAX TIP Six month doubling of GST credit payment starts November 4, 2022
- 03-Sep-2022 10:22 AM Government of Canada Strengthens Access to Sexual and Reproductive Health Services for Youth