ONTARIO JOBS 👷 Skills Ontario Applauds Provincial Government in New Mandatory High School Graduation Requirement to Increase Interest in the Skilled Trades
Wednesday, 15 March 2023 02:27.PM
Skills Ontario celebrates progress as a new provincial initiative will expose more youth, including more young women and girls, to careers in the skilled trades and technologies.
Starting September 2024, Ontario has announced all students entering high school will now be required to earn a Grade 9 or 10 Technological Education credit as part of their Ontario Secondary School Diploma.
The announcement is part of Ontario’s Plan to Catch Up, a provincial government initiative ensuring students gain access to learning opportunities to consider the skilled trades and technologies as future careers. It comes as Skills Ontario is preparing to welcome students and teachers to the 2023 Skills Ontario Competition in May at the Toronto Congress Centre to showcase their skills and knowledge in different trade professions.
Skills Ontario CEO, Ian Howcroft, attend the announcement made by the Ontario Minister of Education, Stephen Lecce, on Friday.
Howcroft said Skills Ontario is pleased and fully supportive of today’s announcement requiring students to take Tech Education classes as part of the curriculum.
“We have long advocated that students need more exposure to and experiential opportunities with skilled trades and technology. This change will result in more students being introduced to skilled trades and technology, which will help to address our skills shortages and move more people to fulfilling and rewarding careers,” said Howcroft.
“This is another example of Ontario’s leadership in developing and delivering skills solutions that will benefit the province, our economy, and our standard of living.”
- 04-Dec-2023 08:00 AM ONTARIO 🧑🚗🚓👮 IBC Commends the Ontario Government for Taking Action to Combat Auto Theft 🕵️♀️🔍💵
- 30-Nov-2023 12:00 PM JOBS 🧑🔎👩🏫💻 Microsoft Expands Digital Footprint in Quebec with Usd$500 Million Investment in Infrastructure and Skilling Initiatives 💵
- 29-Nov-2023 02:28 PM ONTARIO 🤓🧑🎓 Ontario's Public Colleges and Ireland's Technological Universities to Collaborate on Programs and Research 💵
- 25-Nov-2023 12:00 PM ONTARIO 🤓🧑🎓 Colleges call for immediate provincial investments and modest five per cent tuition increase 💵
- 17-Nov-2023 12:00 PM TORONTO JOBS 🧑🔎👩🏫💻 Seneca Polytechnic and Siemens Partner to Provide Tools and Training to the Next Generation of Industry Leaders
- 15-Nov-2023 08:00 AM ONTARIO JOBS 🧑🔎🥘☕ 25,000 Jobs by 2025: Food and Beverage Ontario Launches Recruitment Campaign for The Province's Food and Beverage Processing Industry Workforce 💵
- 14-Nov-2023 06:36 PM ONTARIO JOBS 🧑🔎 Labatt boosts production and sustainability with $26.6M expansion of London 💵Brewery
- 14-Nov-2023 04:35 PM ONTARIO 💵 Taking Steps to Better Protect Ontario Pension Plan Beneficiaries
- 14-Nov-2023 02:12 PM ONTARIO JOBS 🧑🔎🥘☕🏬 Ontario Strengthening Wage Protections for Restaurant Workers
- 11-Nov-2023 04:31 PM ONTARIO JOBS 💵 Ontario Strengthening Mining Industry Innovation and Development in the Northeast