TORONTO ✈️🧳 Minister of Transport Announces New Verified Traveller Program to Improve the Security Screening Experience for Eligible Travellers
Tuesday, 23 May 2023 02:25.PM
The air sector plays a crucial role in connecting Canadians across the country and to the world, and helps create good, middle-class jobs to build an economy that works for everyone. The Government of Canada is continuously working to improve the security screening process to ensure travellers have a smooth and efficient screening experience, while maintaining the highest standards of security to keep Canadians safe.
Today, the Minister of Transport, the Honorable Omar Alghabra, announced that the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) will soon be launching a new Verified Traveller program that will offer a faster and more efficient screening experience for eligible travellers at select airports across Canada.
This new Verified Traveller program will replace the current Trusted Traveller program. By June 21, 2023, dedicated Verified Traveller screening lines will be available at select domestic and international checkpoints in the following airports:
• Vancouver International Airport
• Edmonton International Airport
• Calgary International Airport
• Winnipeg International Airport
• Toronto-Pearson International Airport T1 and T3
• Montreal-Trudeau International Airport
The new Verified Traveller program will help ease congestion over time, as use of dedicated Verified Traveller lines grows. The new lines provide eligible travellers with select benefits at security screening checkpoints, such as keeping laptops, large electronics and compliant liquids and gels in their carry-on, and keeping their shoes, belt and light jacket on. Eligible travellers include:
• Members of NEXUS and Global Entry;
• Active members of the Canadian Armed Forces and US military, including reservists, with valid ID;
• Canadian aircrew and airport workers with Restricted Area Identification Cards;
• International aircrew (in uniform) with valid airline ID; and
• Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) officers, Canadian police officers and constables with a badge and proper photo identification issued by their respective organizations.
The Verified Traveller program allows children who are 17 years of age and younger, and adults who are 75 years of age and older, to accompany verified travellers through security, provided they are on the same reservation.
Several airports will also offer verified travellers with front-of-the-line service and additional benefits at transborder checkpoints (flights to the U.S.). For more information and a list of airports, visit CATSA's website.
"CATSA plays a crucial role in keeping our air sector safe. As the sector entered recovery following the COVID-19 pandemic, we saw how important it was to have a smooth and efficient security screening regime for air passengers. This new Verified Traveller program builds on our $1.8 billion investment for CATSA in Budget 2023, and is great news as we enter another busy travel season to help combat congestion at our airports. It will help improve the security screening process for eligible travellers at select airports across Canada, while still ensuring we meet the highest standards of security and safety for air passengers."
- The Honourable Omar Alghabra, Minister of Transport
• Budget 2023 proposes to provide $1.8 billion over five years, starting in 2023-24, to the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) to maintain and increase its level of service, improve screening wait times, and strengthen security measures at airports.
• Budget 2023 funding will seek to improve CATSA's wait-time-service-levels, particularly at peak periods, without compromising aviation security.
• Funding would also be used to enhance the security of Canada's non-passenger screening program and to support CATSA's ability to meet increased demand as passenger volumes grow.
• To learn more about NEXUS membership, visit the Canada Border Services Agency website.
Transport Canada is online at www.tc.gc.ca. Subscribe to e-news or stay connected through Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram to keep up to date on the latest from Transport Canada.
Verified Travellers - CATSA (catsa-acsta.gc.ca)
NEXUS Program (cbsa-asfc.gc.ca)
SOURCE: Transport Canada
- 22-Sep-2023 04:33 PM Canada reaffirms our unwavering support for Ukraine for as long as it takes
- 22-Sep-2023 08:00 AM President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy to Visit Canada
- 11-Sep-2023 10:16 AM 💻 Canadian Fintech Investment Drops to Pandemic-Era Levels in The First Half of the Year
- 02-Sep-2023 12:00 PM 🏠💵 Minister Miller Highlights New Tax-Free First Home Savings Account That Helps Canadians Reach Their Goals of Home Ownership Faster
- 17-Aug-2023 02:48 PM JOBS 🍁 Helping More Canadians Build Careers In Skilled Trades
- 16-Aug-2023 04:33 PM JOBS🍁 Government of Canada Announces Investment in Shipbuilding Infrastructure For The Canadian Surface Combatant
- 16-Aug-2023 08:00 AM JOBS Cutting Red Tape for Employers who Protect Temporary Foreign Workers
- 15-Aug-2023 02:27 PM Upcoming Event: 👵🧶🎶🎤 SummerSeries in Trillium Park Hosts Wavelength Summer Thing and Yoga this Weekend - FREE EVENTS
- 15-Aug-2023 12:00 PM ONTARIO 💵 Ontario Releases 2023-24 First Quarter Finances
- 15-Aug-2023 10:22 AM ONTARIO 🏠💵 Ontario Building More Supportive Housing in Mississauga