ONTARIO JOBS 🧑🔎🧑🌾 Ontario Strengthening Agri-Food Sector in the North 💵
Wednesday, 08 November 2023 02:21.PM
- Provincial investment will boost northern economy and food security -
The Ontario government is providing more than $4.1 million through the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) to nine agri-food projects in the North. This investment will boost local food production, create jobs and stimulate expansion and diversification in the northern agri-food sector.
Greg Rickford, Minister of Northern Development, made the announcement today at The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair.
“Through targeted investments like the ones we are celebrating today, our government continues to strengthen the Northern agri-food industry that keeps our communities thriving,” said Minister Rickford. “The NOHFC was modernized by our government so more businesses and organizations can apply for the supports they need to diversify their offerings, expand their facilities, or take on projects like tile drainage to enhance their crop production in the North.”
Funded NOHFC projects include:
• $1,400,000 for Lactalis Canada Inc. to convert their Sudbury milk facility into a premium non-dairy, plant-based facility
• $945,506 for the Northern Ontario Farm Innovation Alliance to administer a tile drainage project in the Timiskaming–Cochrane District, spanning 1,888 acres and supporting 19 producers
• $535,800 for the Northeast Community Network to administer a tile drainage project in the Timiskaming–Cochrane District, spanning 893 acres and supporting nine producers
• $461,000 for Tulloch Agriculture Inc. to build two storage buildings and purchase equipment to expand operations to include cash cropping in Algoma–Manitoulin
• $400,000 for Sharpe Farm Supplies Ltd. and WM Sharpe Farms Ltd. to invest in a new 14,000-square-foot warehouse that will have an agri-centre and new grain dryers and grain bins to support crop storage services in Algoma–Manitoulin
• $174,684 for Lock City Dairies Inc. to expand their facility in Sault Ste. Marie to increase productivity, efficiency and storage capacity, and generate more sales and clients
• $81,000 for Peace Hill Farm in Sundridge to install a greenhouse and purchase equipment to establish commercial organic farming operations
• $67,967 for Pleasant Valley – an agricultural tourism start-up on Manitoulin Island – to build a safe and positive environment to provide education and connect people with animals and agriculture
• $56,520 for Old Rock Inc. – a specialty coffee roastery based in Sudbury – to purchase and install a new coffee roaster to respond to consumer demand and invest in building retrofits to accommodate the roaster and marketing costs
“The agriculture and food sector in Northern Ontario plays a vital role in boosting the local economy and creating employment opportunities,” said Lisa Thompson, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. “Strategic investments through the NOHFC in northern agriculture projects are one of the many ways our government is ensuring the North is well positioned for growth and can capitalize on new market opportunities.”
The NOHFC promotes economic prosperity across Northern Ontario by providing financial assistance to projects—big and small, rural and urban—that stimulate growth, job creation and skills development. Since June 2018, the NOHFC has invested more than $717 million in 5,875 projects in Northern Ontario, leveraging more than $2.3 billion in investment and creating or sustaining over 9,260 jobs.
• The Ontario government launched new and improved NOHFC programs that support more projects in rural northern communities and make it easier for more people and businesses to apply. The programs target existing and emerging markets, provide more work opportunities for Indigenous people and address the skilled labour shortage in the North.
• The 101st annual Royal Agricultural Winter Fair is taking place November 5–12, 2023, at Exhibition Place in Toronto.
SOURCE: Ministry of Northern Development
- 04-Dec-2023 08:00 AM ONTARIO 🧑🚗🚓👮 IBC Commends the Ontario Government for Taking Action to Combat Auto Theft 🕵️♀️🔍💵
- 03-Dec-2023 06:33 PM 🍁💵 Canada Increases Support for Asylum Claimants
- 30-Nov-2023 12:00 PM JOBS 🧑🔎👩🏫💻 Microsoft Expands Digital Footprint in Quebec with Usd$500 Million Investment in Infrastructure and Skilling Initiatives 💵
- 29-Nov-2023 02:28 PM ONTARIO 🤓🧑🎓 Ontario's Public Colleges and Ireland's Technological Universities to Collaborate on Programs and Research 💵
- 26-Nov-2023 06:40 PM 🏛️💼📜 Government of Canada Launches Consultation on Legislative Amendments to Counter Foreign Interference in Canada 💵
- 26-Nov-2023 12:00 PM 🚓💵 Federal Cabinet Ministers Issue Statement to Urge Collective Action to End Gender-Based Violence in Canada
- 25-Nov-2023 12:00 PM ONTARIO 🤓🧑🎓 Colleges call for immediate provincial investments and modest five per cent tuition increase 💵
- 17-Nov-2023 12:00 PM TORONTO JOBS 🧑🔎👩🏫💻 Seneca Polytechnic and Siemens Partner to Provide Tools and Training to the Next Generation of Industry Leaders
- 16-Nov-2023 06:25 PM 💵🏅Government Of Canada Announces Funding to Improve Economic Security for Women in Professional Sport
- 16-Nov-2023 04:23 PM 💵⚖️ FP Canada Standards Council™ Opens Consultations on New Proposed Rules of Conduct and Changes to Practice Standards Aimed at Protecting the Public