💵🏅Government Of Canada Announces Funding to Improve Economic Security for Women in Professional Sport
Thursday, 16 November 2023 06:25.PM
Stereotypes, discrimination, and bias contribute to gender inequity in women's professional sport, limiting the industry's economic and social potential. Investment in women's sport provides leadership and career opportunities for Canadians.
Today, the Honourable Marci Ien, Minister for Women and Gender Equality and Youth announced $325,000 for Canadian Women & Sport, to support the Commercial Women's Sport Initiative, which aims to:
• Shift mindsets on the economic value and investment potential of women's professional sport
• Enhance capacity to embed intersectional gender equity into women's professional sport
This will be achieved through a network of champions, continued research on the business and social value of these investments, a communications campaign, outreach to stakeholders in the sports industry, as well as measurement and evaluation activities.
Minister Ien also participated in a roundtable discussion with Allison Sandmeyer-Graves, CEO of Canadian Women & Sport, and other industry leaders, to discuss the barriers faced by women in professional sport and to chart a path forward.
Women and Gender Equality Canada is invested in both the economic and social benefits of women's professional sport. The Government of Canada will continue to collaborate with women's organizations to support initiatives that advance gender equality.
"Women's pro sports are more accessible and engaging than ever before, though we know that there is still a significant amount of untapped economic potential. The Government of Canada is proud to support Canadian Women & Sport as they work to unlock this potential, while also bringing the industry together. Canadian women's pro teams are among the best in the world, and they deserve to be supported in every way."
The Honourable Marci Ien, Minister for Women and Gender Equality and Youth
• Budget 2023 allocated $160 million over three years, starting in 2023-24, for the Women's Program to provide funding to organizations in Canada that serve women.
• In a recent survey, 76 percent of girls in Canada reported that sport participation enhances their mental and emotional health and builds their confidence (Data Source: Canadian Women & Sport 2022 Rally Report).
• The Government of Canada is committed to achieving gender equality in sport at every level by 2035 (Data Source: Canadian Heritage News Release: Supporting Gender Equality in Sport).
• Canadian Women & Sport is the leading voice and authority on gender equity and inclusion in sport in Canada. For over 40 years, the organization has driven progress by working directly with sport organizations and leaders to address the barriers to participation women and girls continue to face.
SOURCE: Women and Gender Equality Canada
- 04-Dec-2023 08:00 AM ONTARIO 🧑🚗🚓👮 IBC Commends the Ontario Government for Taking Action to Combat Auto Theft 🕵️♀️🔍💵
- 03-Dec-2023 06:33 PM 🍁💵 Canada Increases Support for Asylum Claimants
- 29-Nov-2023 02:28 PM ONTARIO 🤓🧑🎓 Ontario's Public Colleges and Ireland's Technological Universities to Collaborate on Programs and Research 💵
- 26-Nov-2023 06:40 PM 🏛️💼📜 Government of Canada Launches Consultation on Legislative Amendments to Counter Foreign Interference in Canada 💵
- 26-Nov-2023 12:00 PM 🚓💵 Federal Cabinet Ministers Issue Statement to Urge Collective Action to End Gender-Based Violence in Canada
- 25-Nov-2023 12:00 PM ONTARIO 🤓🧑🎓 Colleges call for immediate provincial investments and modest five per cent tuition increase 💵
- 16-Nov-2023 04:23 PM 💵⚖️ FP Canada Standards Council™ Opens Consultations on New Proposed Rules of Conduct and Changes to Practice Standards Aimed at Protecting the Public
- 15-Nov-2023 12:00 PM 💵🧑🌾 Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Launches New Agricultural Methane Reduction Challenge
- 15-Nov-2023 10:23 AM 💵🏘️ Helping Build More Homes, Faster in Calgary
- 15-Nov-2023 08:00 AM ONTARIO JOBS 🧑🔎🥘☕ 25,000 Jobs by 2025: Food and Beverage Ontario Launches Recruitment Campaign for The Province's Food and Beverage Processing Industry Workforce 💵